Monday, July 23, 2018

What Would You Say?

This past week I had the wonderful opportunity to go to San Diego for a conference at the University of San Diego. Before going to this conference I had no idea that the University of San Diego was Catholic, but sure enough, it is.

One of the first sessions I was able to attend (I may have missed the first session because I got lost) at this conference was a tour of the Founders Chapel. In addition to the rich history that I was able to learn about this institution itself as well as the worship space, I became mesmerized by the crucifix that hung behind the altar in a beautiful reredos. 


As I sat looking at this crucifix I was suddenly racing through thoughts I had had on the plane ride just that morning.

While stuck on the wonderfully small, not Mike sized, planes flying from Grand Rapids to Minneapolis and Minneapolis to San Diego I took the opportunity to listen to the audio version Fr. James Martin's SJ Jesus: A Pilgrimage.

As I listened to Fr. Martin read the book himself I began to think about how quickly he has become popular these past few years and most specifically how he has been able to publish so many books in the last few years. Anyone who knows me well knows that in part this thought was the result of admiration but also was a pang of resentment. The latter half explains why my next thought was 'well yeah, but some of his books were just reprinted speeches he gave.' Specifically, in this regard, I was thinking about his books Building a Bridge and Seven Last Words.

Seven Last Words is the book that became most relevant as I sat and gazed upon the crucifix in the Founders Chapel. Having enjoyed all of Martin's books that I have read/listened to at this point (Jesus: A Pilgrimage, The Abbey, Between Heaven and Mirth, Building a Bridge and Seven Last Words) I really do admire the man's ability to write in a way that is succinct yet takes a reader on a journey. In Seven Last Words, Martin takes his reader on a journey of the last words of Christ as recorded in the various gospel accounts.

Theologians and Christians have spent centuries debating over the meaning of what is reported to have been said from the cross. What I found particularly striking while looking at these statues in this chapel was that there is no freaking way we have all the last words of Jesus.

This is what I like to call a no duh moment (I have them frequently). Of course, we don't have all the last words of Jesus. However, the thought I found most interesting as I prayed at the foot of this cross was that I have gone years without ever stopping to wonder, 'what did Jesus say to his mom from the cross?'

This reredos very clearly shows Jesus on the cross with Mary at the foot of the cross. In the midst of his agony and suffering, this statue depicts Jesus, not yet dead, looking at his mother.



For the rest of the day the thought continued to poke at the back of my mind... 'What did he say to her?' and even more than that I wonder if what he said was able to comfort her.

If Mary was indeed there at the foot of the cross which I chose to believe she was, there is no way that Jesus didn't at the very least say goodbye to his mother.

I truly wonder what he said to her and what if any response she could give to him. What I am certain of is that Mary was there and together they wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment